SFr. 19.90
€ 19.90
BTC 0.0024
LTC 0.153
ETH 0.0289


Artikel-Nr. 18300811

Diesen Artikel in meine
Diesen Artikel
Diesen Preis


  • Hoogs Hoogs
  • The Belleville Directory, for 1877: To Which Is Added a Directory of Napanee, Trenton and Brighton, Containing Alphabetical, Miscellaneous, Classified 

    Dieser Artikel gilt, aufgrund seiner Grösse, beim Versand als 2 Artikel!

    Lieferstatus:   i.d.R. innert 5-10 Tagen versandfertig
    Genre:  Lexika / Nachschlagewerke 
    ISBN:  9781331886969 
    Verlag:  Forgotten Books 
    Einband:  Kartoniert  
    Sprache:  English  
    Dimensionen:  H 229 mm / B 152 mm / D 12 mm 
    Gewicht:  320 gr 
    Seiten:  234 
    Zus. Info:  23:B&W 6 x 9 in or 229 x 152 mm Perfect Bound on White w/Gloss Lam 
    Bewertung: Titel bewerten / Meinung schreiben
    Excerpt from The Belleville Directory, for 1877: To Which Is Added a Directory of Napanee, Trenton and Brighton, Containing Alphabetical, Miscellaneous, Classified Business Lists of the Four Above-Named Places, and a General Miscellaneous Directory The Indian name for this town is Sagonasko. It is situated in Hastings County, on the Bay of Quinte. The Moira river runs through the entire length of the town. This stream was originally known as Singleton River. In 1790 Capt Myers located here, erecting a dam and saw mill, and it was then called Myers' Creek, retaining this name until about 1812. The first bridge spanning the river was a rude floating structure, built about the year 1800, which was shortly after carried away. In 1802 another was completed, but shared the fate of the first one. The third trial proved more successful, when the first permanent bridge was completed in 1807. The first house was built by Asa Wallbridge, and the second in 1798 - a public house. A second hotel was built in 1800. James McNab was first collector of customs and the first postmaster and registrar. The town received its present name - Belleville - in 1816. It is the oldest town in Canada. The first board of police was established in 1834; the first sidewalk was laid in or about the year 1836. Population in 1818, 150; in 1824, 500; in 1829, 700; in 1836, more than 1,000; - it has gradually mounted, step by step, until it now, in 1877, numbers over 11,000 souls, as the census of the town lately taken fully demonstrates. The jail was completed in 1838, and the first Court was held in November, 1839. - B. Dougall presided; E. Murney, clerk of the peace; J. W. Moodie, sheriff. It would be a difficult matter to portray at length the many advantages this enterprising town (soon to be incorporated "City") possesses. The mere increase of its population, year by year, is a satisfactory proof of its commercial advancement, the thriftiness and energetic push of its citizens, and its growing worth to the surrounding country. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.


    Wird aktuell angeschaut...

    Zurück zur letzten Ansicht

    AGB | Mein Konto | Impressum | Partnerprogramm
    Newsletter | RSS News-Feed Newsfeed | Facebook-Page Facebook | Google Plus-Page Google+ | Twitter-Page Twitter
    Forbidden Planet AG © 1999-2018
    Alle Angaben ohne Gewähr

    Im Sortiment stöbern
    Mein Konto
    Meine Wunschliste
    Fragen / AGB / Kontakt
    © by Forbidden Planet AG 1999-2018